Before you can build your home page you need some content.
You can see an example of some demo content I use when testing themes.
The content audit
If you have an established website, list all of your important pages and posts.
If you’re building a new website, make a list of the content you need.
The types of content you might already have
Your content should tell your site visitors what you do. Who you help. And how to contact you to find out more.
This short list will give you some idea of what I mean…
- What we do.
- Who we help.
- A portfolio or information about jobs you’ve done and businesses you’ve worked with.
- Working together, describe what happens after a new client contacts you.
- Your Unique Selling Point. Why are you the best placed business to solve their problem.
- Testimonials, case studies and recommendations.
- Trust signals. Are you a member of any trustworthy trade bodies or the local chamber of commerce etc. Do clients expect you to have any specific qualifications. Have you worked with anyone who potential clients might know and trust. Look for things you could tell clients that would inspire them to trust you.
- Contact us form and how to find our premises info.
- Cornerstone content
Prioritize your content
Your home page will need a hierarchy. Make sure the most important information is at the top of the page.
For instance, what you do is very important to your site visitor. So at the top of your home page make it obvious that you can solve their problem.
“We fix roofs” get’s to the point quickly. And it’s easier to understand than “we’re a synergistic team with a holistic approach and blue sky thinking”.
Once you have a simple list of important content that deserves to be on your home page, you can move on to the next step.
The next step is deciding what type of widgets you need to display your content and build your home page.
One final point
Your home page is not designed to make an instant sale. It should convince them that they have landed on a website that can help them. And make it easy for new and existing clients to scan for and click the links to access the pages they are most interested in.